Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In Memory of Thelma Henderson

Thelma Henderson died this morning of kidney failure in Grahamstown, South Africa. I cannot begin to express how this amazing woman touched my life. On a South African summer's day in January 1998, I landed in Derek and Thelma's Grahamstown home. During that initial year in South Africa, Thelma organized excursions, afternoon teas, and dinners to help me relax from studying or to meet some of her friends and colleagues. Over the past 10 years, Derek and Thelma continued to welcome me into their home on my visits, and Thelma always had ideas about how I could volunteer and give to the local Grahamstown community.

It saddens me to know that she will be absent on my next South African visit. She was a force of nature, and everyone who knew her felt enriched. This photo is one of the last I have of Thelma. She shared her love and friendship over that table on so many occasions.

Rest, Thelma, and feel the love of all those who miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked as personal secretary to Thelma Henderson at the CSD from 1989 - 1992. We moved to the UK in 1992. Thelma and Derek adopted our black poodle Sammy. We were deeply shocked to hear of Thelma's death yesterday. Our deepest sympathy to Derek, Margie, Angela and their families. We will all be the poorer for her passing. She was a great lady who dedicated her life to serving others and making a difference. It was a privilege to work with her - a person of calibre and integrity. May she rest in peace and let light eternal shine upon her.

Lee - Pampered Pets Dog Grooming said...

I met Mrs Henderson last year, when i had the honour of grooming her very much loved minature poodle, Victoria.

The little i had to do with Mrs Henderson i knew immediately that she was an extraordinary woman who never minded helping anyone in need.

I will miss her very much as will her whole family and all those who knew her.

May your light shine bright in heaven and until we meet again. Rest In Peace.

You are an amazing lady.